I remember crawling on my hands and knees to the porcelain thrown, ever so slowly. It seemed to take forever to get to the bathroom, which was right outside our bedroom door. One hand, then one knee, one hand, then one knee. Not to mention I was trying to be discreet, as fate would have it that my father-in-law was in town and staying with us for Mardi Gras. Of course, Mardi Gras = hangover! Needless to say, I made it to the bathroom unnoticed (I hope) and swore I'd never do such a thing to myself again.
I've been pretty good since then in avoiding hangovers, but every now and then it just seems to be unavoidable. After all, imagine living in New Orleans with the French Quarter, Jazz Fest, Mardi Gras, etc. It's not my fault! I'm just taking part in that Southern hospitality that we're so famous for.
Anyway, for those unavoidable social situations that you also find yourself in where you have no choice but to drink or be called names by your peers, here are some tips that may help prevent a hangover, and if not - then cure one.
- Drink a lot of fluids before leaving the house (boat), and continue to drink a glass of water or Gatorade between alcoholic beverages: This one just doesn't seem to be something I do. Drink water before I go ... sure, but between drinks ... I don't think that's going to happen.
- Eat a meal containing protein before drinking and when waking up the next morning: Eat a meal .. with protein! I usually can only manage a piece of dry toast!
- Eat before going to bed: If I'm not already passed out, you can count on me pigging out first!
- Lots of Ibuprofen: Another good idea before passing out. I take four! In the morning, it won't help with the nausea, but will slow down the pounding in your head.
- Over the counter remedies: Some of these like Emergen-C actually have good reviews. I can't say that I've tried these.
- More alcohol! Unless you plan on continuing the party throughout the day (Mardi Gras again comes to mind), this isn't a good idea. To be honest, the thought of more alcohol the next morning makes me want to puke. Maybe that's the idea ... get it up and out!
- Coffee: While the caffeine will help get you going, coffee does not hydrate. So if you must have your coffee (like me), then hydrate with water, Gatorade or something like Pedialyte.
- Lay on the sofa all day: My favorite ... and I mean all day, in my pajamas!
- Pizza! I came up with this one, because I love pizza, it can be delivered to my door, and it has bread (to soak up the alcohol) and cheese (protein). Not first thing in the morning, but after coffee, ibuprofen and more sleep.